Winter Home Heating Checklist
Freezing weather is right around the corner in the corner. Now is the time to ensure that your home's heating system and other areas of your home are ready to fight off the chill of winter. Here are a few things to check to ensure your heating system is operating safely and reliably this winter.
- Schedule your furnace tune-up. Keeping your furnace maintained will keep it running longer while helping it operate more efficiently.
- Replace your furnace filter at least once a month. A dirty air filter will reduce furnace efficiency and reduce the lifespan of the heating system.
- Turn down your thermostat to 68 degrees. For every degree you lower your heat in the 60-degree to 70-degree range, you'll save up to 5 percent on heating costs.
- Program your thermostat. If you're on a predictable schedule, set your thermostat to turn the temperature down when you're not at home.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans to direct the warm air downward towards the living space.
- Check your smoke and CO detectors. Replace the batteries as needed.
- Ensure that air ducts are not covered or restricted by rugs or furniture.
- Seal air leaks around windows and doors.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed unless a fire is burning.
- Open all air ducts, even in rooms that are unoccupied.
Call Gibson's today to schedule your furnace tune-up and ensure that your heating system is ready to keep your home warm all winter long.